As promised, today I am going to be sharing some styling tips which are basic, but useful to try out when you are trying to be more fashion-forward. Being stylish is all about wearing fashion trends with grace. You may use apps like FashionNova, Shein or to be more up to date with fashion trends. Fashion trends can however be quite hard to keep following up with as fashion trends have been so different right from Fashion 80’s or fashion 90’s. Fashion trends in 2020 have been pretty unique and magazines feature oversized victorian sleeves, shoes over pants, chunky boots on dresses or square toed heels and much more. But it is hard to always be up to date with these trends and that’s why I am going to give you very basic styling tips no one usually gives you.
This blog is all about:
DO’S AND DONT’S OF HEELS OVER MIDI SKIRTS
Midi skirts, whether plain, printed or denim, should never be styled with a pair of flats for an optimum look. The simple guideline is that over the knee skirts can be paired with heels or flats, but when you go below the knee whether it is a maxi or midi skirt go for heels.
CONS OF FLATS WITH MIDI SKIRTS
- Makes you look shorter
- Can make you look more bulkier
- Doesn’t make you look your best because of the proportions
pros OF heels WITH MIDI SKIRTS
- Makes you look much slimmer
- Instantly elevates the look from casual to more glamorous
- Proportions stand out much better here
DO’S AND DONT’S OF cover up’s
In this case I have picked up a maxi dress, but this applies to most outfits which are sleeveless. If you are more conscious about your arms, one great style technique to wear this with is a kimono, shrug or cover up. Make sure to choose the right color based on the primary outfit. Let’s say, you choose a printed bodysuit over some white wide leg pants, you can pair it up with a sheer white kimono.
cons of dresses without cover up’s
- Makes your arms look much bigger
- You may not be able to wear this dress to places, you otherwise could
pro’s of cover-up’s
- Makes you look slimmer
- Makes the outfit look super casual
DO’S AND DONT’S OF PRINTED OVER PRINTED
Mixing two prints is a challenging aspect of style and there are a few ways to do it well. However, if you are just starting off in the journey of style try limiting these mixes. Down below, you can see how the mix is not really the best combination and it is important to find a good match. So as a guideline, doing plain with printed is a better an easier option. With a printed top, do a plain bottom and vice versa!
cons OF PRINTED OVER PRINTED
- It is harder to find a right mix
- It always looks a little extra, so trying to make it look more casual is a task
PROS OF PLAIN OVER PRINTED
- Gives the outfit an interesting balance
- Way easier to style the outfit
- More room to play around with your wardrobe.
DO’S AND DONT’S OF TUCKING YOUR T-SHIRT
The basic guideline here is about proportions, if you go with a longer skirt and a shorter top, it emphasizes the longer section that makes you look thinner. When your t-shirt is not tucked, there are two equal sections that do not allow you to make the best use of your outfit.
CONS OF NOT TUCKING YOUR T-SHIRT
- Does not allow you to make the best of the proportions
- No take away of looking slimmer
PROS OF TUCKING YOUR SHIRT
- Makes the proportions work so much better
- Makes you look a hundred times slimmer
DO’S AND DONT’S OF CO-ORD’S
In this example, I have chosen two outfits, one where I have tried to blend printed vs. plain. When you choose a printed outfit, it is always better to go for a plain bag. It does not have to be a tote bag like this one, but it just shows you how you can style it. In the case of plain outfits, if you choose a white on white look for example, style a really colorful bag alongside it. In this case I have styled it with my most favorite Dior Book Tote. So here I have TWO DO’S for CO-ORDS and I have chosen these two ways to do it right.
PRO’S OF DOING THESE LOOKS?
- Aligns your whole look
- A perfect balancing factor between print and plain
- Your bag or dress can be more of a highlight in both cases, so you get to choose the highlight of your outfit.
In the second case, I have gone for a very neutral look with a colorful bag to add on and accessorize it.
DO’S AND DONT’S OF SNEAKERS
Sneakers are awesome but it is also essential to know how they look with different outfits. As a guideline, dresses that go below the knee aren’t the best idea for a sneaker. However with new emerging 2020 trends you can definitely try a chic boot with a dress like this. But in this case the dress you are pairing it up really matters. Some dresses are just way too glamorous to be paired up with sneakers. But, that being said some people really enjoy this kind of outfit. I would leave it to personal choice, but for me before starting with following fashion trends, I am focusing more towards learning the basics.
CONS OF SNEAKERS WITH LONG DRESSES
- It throws a different sense of proportion to the outfit
- You look sporty and chic at the same time which doesn’t imprint easily
PROS OF SNEAKERS ON SHORT DRESSES
- It gives a proper impression of a sporty casual look
- Isn’t confusing in the idea it gives you
- Very comfortable
So, those were my TOP 6 exclusive styling tips, but along with these I also want to touch upon some basic styling tips you can achieve and use always:
- Invest in Denim
- Go for a lot of classics in your wardrobe: like a white t shirt or a coat
- Always be mindful of your body type and dress accordingly
- Invest in a pair of good heels, they transform looks
- Buy a few sizes up and down and always have it in case of weight gain and loss
- Organize your closet according to color
- Use accessories like scarfs, bags, shoes, neck pieces and belts to improve a basic look
- Invest in a couple of good dresses that fit you well
I am sharing a quick # behindthescenes video of how i filmed these outfits for you guys and I hope you enjoy it. After all, it is about the process over the final results of the content I create…
Lots of Love,
Road Dress Travelled x